So summer officially begins tomorrow…Yeah! Hot, sweaty, humidity, pool, beach, whatever or wherever you go you will feel the heat. Sizzling temperature is on it’s way because the sun will have no mercy on us due to climate change. Lol!
So what can do? On a individual basis we can stay hydrated, cool an positive. Only use the air conditioner when the temperature is excruciating and need. Stay comfortable and avoid heat cramps, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke.
There are several ways to keep our body cool for example:
- Wear cotton clothing and loose-fitting clothing
- Keep a spray bottle with water in the refrigerator for a quick refreshing facial spray for outdoors or in doors.
- Use fans to help circulate the air inside
- Keep plastic bottles of water in freezer(this is one of my favorite things to do).
- Take frequent baths or showers with cool or tepid water temperature.
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration, some people love sports drinks (choose carefully).
- Try to avoid caffeine and alcohol these two promotes dehydration.
- Eat lighter food products like cold fruit and vegetables. Salads are my favorites…
- In you have no air-conditioning, go to public libraries and enjoy what’s being offered… free book, free air conditioning and many other goodies for your imagination.
- FINALLY… this is highly recommended: Create Your Own “Refreshing Spa Water” Water infused with fruit and herbs can help your body feel great and cool you down. According to sites such as healthline.com the amount of water per day is more individualized and “The Institute of Medicine(IOM) recommends that men should drink at least 104 ounces of water per day, which is 13 cups. They also stated that women should drink at least 72 ounces but drinking up 8 glasses of water each day is still a good solid start… So, to make your water more enjoyable and exciting to drink you can add herbs.
Adding herbs and fresh fruit in the water adds minerals and vitamins. This makes your water taste naturally sweet and yummy! With summer solstice tomorrow, give it a try…
Here are some suggested ingredients and benefits:
LEMON– helps reduce fluid retention
CUCUMBER – reduces puffiness and bloating
MINT – soothes the stomach
LIME – helps with digestion
BASIL – reduces inflammation
STRAWBERRY – boosts immunity
ORANGE – aids the acid/alkaline balance
- Fill a mason glass jar or a large pitcher with cold water.
- Add fresh fruit and herbs( choose 2-3 from the list above)
- Herbs have a strong flavor and lasts longer
- Wash carefully, allow it to chill and soak for up to 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Serve cold! Voila!!! ENJOY & STAY COOL!